Wednesday, February 29, 2012

What is the curriculum for a radiation oncologist?

I want to major in radiation oncology, but i dont know exactly what school to go to. or better yet what classes i need to take. If anyone knows any good websites or information on how i can get started please help.What is the curriculum for a radiation oncologist?
A radiation oncologist is an MD so you have to go to medical school. I would think if a medical school offers radiation oncology as a specialty they will offer the courses as well.



So you can major major in anything you want. This is not my expertise, but if I am recall correctly colleges usually offer pre-med track so that you take the courses required for medical school application and prepare for the MCATS (Medical College Admission Test).



I knew quite a few people who majored in a related field like biology for medical school. Yet, there was some I in my department as an undergraduate who went to medical school with a BS/BA in physics.



If your school has a nuclear engineering, medical/health physics, radio-chemistry, or similar programs, there might be a basic radiation courses or radiation biology course for undergraduates as an elective for your major. It would show on your application that you are serious.



Check the course catalog of your college or talk to an academic advisor.

No comments:

Post a Comment