Saturday, February 25, 2012

What is the relationship between gamma radiation and the thickness of a material?

Hi there,



I am doing a physics assignment and am asked to research the relationship between radiation and thickness of a material and wondering if there is a formula for it.



I have searched wikipedia and various websites but it gets EXTREMELY complicated very quickly.



If there is such a thing, can someone please take the time to explain all the terms etc. I am quite slow on the physics stuff.



This would be especially helpful if the formula could be used when only the count rate of the radiation and the density of the material was known.



Thanks for any help!What is the relationship between gamma radiation and the thickness of a material?
Io= initial radiation intensity

I= intensity of radiation at thickness x

u=attenuation constant (actually mu) - is related to density, but I don't know a formula for it

x=thickness of material

the equation is I=Ioe^-ux

you might find this link helpful, i don't know what part of wiki you looked atWhat is the relationship between gamma radiation and the thickness of a material?
if you have 'Io' intense of radiation in front of the material and 'I' behind that

and the thickness of a material is 'x'



then



I=Io*exp(-m*x)



m=grammical linear density







http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/nudat2/What is the relationship between gamma radiation and the thickness of a material?
The thicker the material, the less likely you will turn green and smash things.

No comments:

Post a Comment