Saturday, March 10, 2012

What is it like to be a Radiation Therapist? Would I be able to handle it?

I've been very interested in Radiation Therapy as my main career choice lately. However, my mom doesn't believe it's a good idea because it would be a tough job emotionally. I'm a very caring and loving person so I feel like if I brought the right kind of energy to the table the patient would stay calm and relax. Am I looking at this all wrong? Could anyone fill me in on what it's like to be a Radiation Therapist and what you go through on a day-to-day basis?What is it like to be a Radiation Therapist? Would I be able to handle it?
My father was a radiation therapist, an oncologist, M.D. I assume you want to be a radiation technician and administer the radiation treatments. I was the tech for my dad and can tell you there is a lot of physics, atomic physics, nuclear physics and dosimetry which is calculating the amount of radiation delivered to get the desired affect even though the physician will actually do that. I worked for him for seven years, and here is what you can expect: You will make a decent living but you will see the death experience so many times, it can be depressing. Knowing that you will be a big part of the lives of the patient and their families and can provide laughter, comfort and expert care and be the one who makes a difference is great like you said. They will look to you for support, care and reassurance. Since people get radiation therapy over a period of weeks and sometimes months as new sites appear, you will gt to know the and their families very well. You will see them get bad news and cry with them, and you will rejoice with them when things improve. You will know these things before they do and not be able to say so. You will make new friends who bestow love and God's blessings on you and be remembered hopefully as someone who made the whole thing easier for everybody. I have a lot of fond memories and still keep in touch with some of the younger patients I helped through their illness. And I can still remember the 19yr old girl with ovarian cancer whose boyfriend left her and how her mother cried with anguish.(She recovered and is happily married.) It's like being part of a book or movie and much more intense than jobs outside the medical field. You could also consider nuclear med tech and just regular x-ray tech , but my guess is you would be perfect. Day to day could be different in a big hospital where several techs do the work. I was in an office with the accelerator right there which is unusual. Also, if you are unattached, you could meet others in the medical field and find the man of your dreams.Your mom wants to protect you which is normal, but tell her she instilled in you the right qualities to make a difference in the world, and that you will make her proud. Keep a journal, and write a book when you retire. If you have any more questions, I'm here.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment