Sunday, March 4, 2012

Is it normal to experience burning in your throat 3 weeks after radiation treatment to the Throat?

My mom underwent 35 radiation treatments for a tumor in her throat. It is now 3.5 weeks after treatment and she has a hard time eating and says her throat feels like it's on fire. Is this normal to feel burning 3.5 weeks after treatment? If so any suggestions as what to do to help relieve the pain. She hates the magic mouthwash and she is taking hydroxodone-acetiphenimen, which she says helps slightly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!Is it normal to experience burning in your throat 3 weeks after radiation treatment to the Throat?
I had 50 radiation treatments to my throat over 2 months. It took another 3 months for my throat to heal from the aftereffects. What is going on is the skin inside of the treatment field(the esophagus) has become burned and blistered and as a result has sloughed off and the new skin there is completely raw. When I was going through that I had to use morphine just to eek down a few sips of water--the numbing throat wash was so gross that it made sick and wasn't worth it. That was definitely the hardest part of radiation treatment. It was also the time when I lost the most weight because it was so painful to eat. The easiest way to drink was to have my fluids at room temp and very soft foods like pastas at room temp. I hope your mom does well and has a full recovery.Is it normal to experience burning in your throat 3 weeks after radiation treatment to the Throat?
I feel it would be normal after 3.5 weeks of treatment...Those radiation treatments will burn the hell out of every thing!!! SKIN and all! She does need to get liguids in her. How about having a nurse come to give her liguids interventiously?? You can ask the doctor to order a nurse for you guys.



Best of luck and love to her!!

No comments:

Post a Comment